Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 16:5-6

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Welcome New Members!

A box full of happiness
Just as we planned, Tuesday morning began with a call from the post office- Our chicks had arrived.  Monday night, Jonathan has asked me to wake him up to go with me, given that the call would come before 6:30 am, I didn't really expect to get more than a grunt from him the next morning.  I was wrong, he popped out of bed like a jack-in-the-box and was dressed in no time.

He had never been with me to get chicks before and thought the doorbell that we rang was very funny.  The nice postal lady handed us our chirping box with a big smile on her face.  I wonder how many chicks come through the Canton post office?  We get some 2-3 times a year.  This shipment contained 10 Golden-Laced Polish chicks and 25 Ameraucana pullets.  I choose the Ameraucanas because they are beautiful, multi-colored birds that lay tinted eggs and lots of them.  The Polish were choosen by Savannah because of their crazy head feathers.  These birds, when fully grown, will have the biggest affro you ever saw!
Golden Laced Polish Chick
Ameraucana Chicks- too cute for words


Not only did we get new chicks, we bought some new laying hens.  Golden Laced Wyandottes.  Wyandottes are my favorite chickens.  The have many different color patterns, a stocky body and very tight full feathers.  We have blue splash, silver laced, black, and red laced wyandottes.  I love the Wyandotte roosters for the fact that they are so calm.  Rarely do we hear them crow, but they still take care of their flocks.
Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen, what a pretty girl!


Jonathan also found his show pig for the youth expo.  A nice little Hampshire gilt (girl pig that has not had piglets)  named Blue Ribbon.  She has a really great temperment and seems to love the deep bedding in the barn stall.  However, she does not take kindly to being woke up.  I was trying to get a good picture for the blog and she let me know that she was having none of it.  I will try again when Jonathan is feeding her.
Say Hello, Blue Ribbon


All in all, it has been a very productive week for the farm.  It feels good to be growing again after such a rough summer.  Heaven forbid, but should we have another summer like this one, we have learned a lot and I don't believe we will suffer so much loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment