Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 16:5-6

Monday, May 28, 2012

Growing Dill

Dill is so pretty when it blooms
If your looking for an easy to grow herb, Dill is a great choice.  For beginner gardeners there is nothing to boost the confidence the way Dill can.  Not only is it easy to grow, but it makes your fish and tarter sauce taste wonderful.

Of course, there are many more ways to use dill.  Dill goes great with cucumbers, it is a key ingredient in pickles.  Many dips make use of dill as well.  I have also found that the bags of lettuce that had a sprig of dill in them stayed much fresher longer.  I can't document the science behind it, but it works.

The first year that I had my garden boxes I planted dill in the bed with other herbs.  The dill grew easily and went to seed.  The seed dried and then fell to the ground.  The following fall, the seed sprouted and I had fresh dill until the first frost.  The dill had time to seed before the frost so I had dill the next spring.  Now, I have lots of dill.  This is not a problem since dill is not an invasive plant, it grows quickly and then dies back.

Another reason to plant lots of dill is to feed the Black Swallowtail Butterfly babies.  Black Swallowtails only feed on dill and other members of the carrot family as caterpillars.  I love seeing these beautiful butterflies fluttering around in my gardens.  So, I plant enough for me and for them. 
The caterpillars I love to feed







Black Swallowtail Butterfly
The Beautiful Black Swallowtail
Not only do butterflies feed on dill, but many other good bugs love the dill blooms.  Dill fits in nicely with gardens planned to attract pollinators and good bugs.  Last but not least, I love the scent and the beauty that dill brings to the garden.  Dill is a favorite of mine and will stay in my landscape as long as I garden.  My mother says whenever she smells dill it reminds her of summers spent at the farmer's market selling produce with her grandmother.
Dried Dill Seed Heads

Rub the seed heads and drop the seeds into the envelope

No comments:

Post a Comment